Charles R. Swindoll has devoted his life to the accurate, practical teaching and application of God’s Word and His grace. Since 1988 he has served as the founder and senior pastor-teacher of Stonebriar Community Church in Texas, but his listening audience extends far beyond a local church body.
His international radio program Insight for Living has aired for more than 35 years. Chuck’s trademark humour, integrity, and authenticity have made him one of this century’s most beloved and trusted preachers.
Chuck’s extensive writing ministry has also served the body of Christ worldwide and his leadership as president and now chancellor of Dallas Theological Seminary has helped prepare and equip a new generation for ministry. Chuck and Cynthia, his partner in life and ministry, have four grown children, 10 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
Call to Ministry
While on the island of Okinawa during his tour of duty in the United States Marine Corps, Chuck recognized the Lord’s call to devote his life to ministry.
After being honourably discharged from the Marine Corps, Chuck enrolled in Dallas Theological Seminary. Chuck’s course of study and the lifelong mentors he met there have permanently marked his life and ministry.
Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary in 1963 with three major honours.
- Harry A. Ironside Award for Expository Preaching
- Christian Education Award for the greatest achievement in the field of his academic major
- Faculty Award for the most outstanding graduate in the opinion of the faculty
Chuck also received four honorary doctorate degrees in recognition of his outstanding contributions to ministry.
- Doctor of Divinity, Talbot Theological Seminary, 1977
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Taylor University, 1986
- Doctor of Laws, Pepperdine University, 1990
- Doctor of Literature, Dallas Baptist University, 1997
As a pastor, Chuck has received the following awards.
- Clergyman of the Year, Religious Heritage of America, 1988
- Named one of the top 12 preachers in the nation by the Effective Preachers Program of Baylor University and George W. Truett Theological Seminary, 1997
- Ranked second to Rev. Billy Graham in a 2009 survey, which asked 800 Protestant pastors to name the living Christian preachers who most influenced them (survey conducted by LifeWay Research)
As teacher on Insight for Living, Chuck has received the following awards.
- Program of the Year, National Religious Broadcasters, 1994
- Religious Broadcaster of the Year, National Religious Broadcasters, 1999
- Hall of Fame Award, National Religious Broadcasters, 2000
As a writer, Chuck has received the following awards.
- Gold Medallion Lifetime Achievement Award, Evangelical Press Association, 1997
- 12 Gold Medallion Awards